Content Management Systems (CMS) have become assets for efficiently creating and managing web content in today’s emerging world of building websites. Regardless of a person’s level of programming experience, these platforms facilitate their ability to create and maintain websites without writing code.
Considering the variety of CMS options available, it’s crucial to know which ones are the most prominent and most suited for your unique requirements. The ten CMS platforms that are expected to rule website development in 2023 will be explored in this article.
Before that, let’s know some of the basics of CMS.
What are CMS platforms?
The all-inclusive software programs created to simplify the full content marketing process are known as content management systems or CMSs. By enabling you to create a website without writing code or understanding programming, CMS solutions address the issue of learning various languages and writing a lot of code.
They provide a set of features and capabilities to help businesses, content producers, and marketers schedule, create, share, and analyze content across different digital platforms.
Such platforms are crucial resources for modern businesses trying to accomplish their marketing goals since they simplify content workflows, improve interaction, and give insights derived from data.
Things to Remember While Choosing a CMS Platform
A CMS should be chosen after carefully weighing the specific needs of the work and your personalized experience with the platform. When selecting a CMS platform, keep the following factors in mind:
Ease of use
Think about how user-friendly the CMS interface is. Ask a question: Will you or your employees be able to manage things with little to no technological expertise? It affects employees’ workflows and engagement rates.
Scalability and customization
Analyze how your website might expand in the future. Will your needs be met as your offerings and audience grow with the CMS you’ve chosen? Also, consider what options for customization are already built into the interface, the number of available extensions, and whether you have access to the source code. A CMS with a lot of adaptability and customization options is adaptable as your organization grows.
When working with sensitive information or managing an online store, security is of the utmost importance. You require an infrastructure to safeguard your clients, content, and front-end viewers. Understand your system’s role and the role you have to play in securing your site while comparing different options.
Pricing and budget
Determine your spending plan for both the initial setup and continuous maintenance. It would help if you had a CMS that satisfies your needs and the demands of your visitors and fits into your budget. Thankfully, a lot of platforms have various plan levels with capabilities that increase with every price range.
10 Most Popular CMS Platforms for Developing Websites
One of the most popular and adaptive content management systems is WordPress. Its user-friendly interface, numerous options for customization, a huge ecosystem of themes and plugins, and supportive audience have all contributed to its enormous popularity.
It is most suitable for small to large companies that have blogging sites, personal websites, and other related needs. WordPress is simple for new users without any coding experience and easy for non-programmers to use. Downloading WordPress is free because it is open-source software.
It’s a platform that can accommodate both newbies and established developers, making it a great option for developing a variety of websites.
- When writing articles pages or managing media, users can navigate and control their material with ease because of the dashboard’s straightforward layout.
- Themes can be used for a wide range of websites, including online stores and corporate websites. Themes that are premium provide enhanced options for elements and style.
- It has features like website permalinks that may be customized, meta tags, and integration with well-known plugins for SEO by default, making it SEO-friendly.
- Its developmental team maintains the effectiveness and security of the platform. Releases are frequently provided to fix bugs and enhance functionality.
The flexible CMS Joomla is well-known for its user-friendliness and strong enough features. It is a great option for websites that serve communities and small to medium-sized enterprises. It can be said that it combines the usability of WordPress with the flexibility of Drupal.
Despite the extensive built-in capabilities of Joomla, you aren’t restricted to the options the platform offers. Any of the 6,000 extensions listed in its official directory can be downloaded to provide you with more control and features over your website.
To establish and maintain a Joomla site, you’ll need to pay for registration, web hosting, themes, and maintenance, just like with the other open-source platforms. Compared to WordPress, Joomla sites often have greater hosting and design costs.
- A huge library of extensions is available. These comprise elements, segments, plugins, and templates that improve your website’s effectiveness and appearance.
- You can develop websites in several languages with Joomla’s integrated multilingual capability. It is especially beneficial for platforms with a worldwide audience and community involvement.
- Because it is extensible, Joomla can handle both small websites and complicated, heavily visited portals. Even under strong loads, it may give exceptional performance with the right hosting and optimization.
Drupal is a strong and adaptable CMS that is frequently selected for complicated and busy websites. Developers who need exact control over the design and functioning of their site will find it useful because it offers extensive modification choices.
It is perfect for developers and companies with a lot of technical resources to fully utilize Drupal’s capabilities. Developers created Drupal for developers; hence, it is essential to have a working knowledge of PHP, HTML, and CSS.
Additionally, it will take longer to set up and configure your website than it would on WordPress. On the other hand, Drupal’s modules and themes are extensively flexible compared to many themes and plugins on WordPress. It signifies that you can use these resources to build a website that provides everything you want if you have the necessary technical expertise.
- The ability to model content using Drupal is amazing. If you’re constructing a news website or an e-commerce site, you may create multiple content types with specialized parameters to fit your needs.
- Due to its API-first design, it is an ideal choice for projects that call for seamless communication with third-party software or services.
- Its determined security department quickly issues patches and actively tracks issues. Your web page is kept secure and current with regular upgrades.
Another option for a top-tier e-commerce content management system, Shopify, is ideal for customers wanting efficiency. For companies and startups wishing to be online quickly, it offers effortless setup and maintenance of your website.
Shopify is a hosted e-commerce platform created for online merchants to set up and run a complete store. eCommerce and new merchants can make the best use of it. You will get a variety of options, protection, and assistance to help you manage your site, but you do not have a complete grasp of how it appears and functions.
You may give up some customization possibilities in return for this simplicity. Most significantly, you cannot edit Shopify’s programming because it is a proprietary platform.
- Shopify provides a large selection of well-created templates that can be altered to meet your brand’s design. Without using any coding, you can establish a visually appealing and distinctive online store by selecting colour schemes and organizing designs.
- It provides comprehensive analytics that includes information on the business, origins of traffic, buyer behaviour, and more. You may use this information to make wise decisions to improve your store.
- A wide range of e-commerce services, such as managing your inventory, tracking orders, failed shopping recovery, discounts, and product variations, are available with Shopify.
In the area of website creation and content management, Contentful is a well-known and cutting-edge CMS. It sets itself apart from ordinary CMS platforms with its headless architecture and an extensive list of features. With tools for creating content, editing, and management, as well as an API for distributing it, Contentful enables businesses to generate and manage their digital content from a single location.
It is ideal for medium-sized to large businesses with technological resources. Together, using it with the social media aggregator tool, Tagembed can make it easy to gather, control, and embed social media feed or reviews on your website.
- It is an enterprise-level headless CMS meant to bring together the flexibility required by coders with the content management capabilities expected by marketers, as it makes content accessible through APIs.
- Multilingual content can be easily handled. Versioning and content history features on the platform make it possible to trace changes and undo them as needed.
- Contentful allows you to customize the Contentful web app itself in addition to the design and capabilities of your website.
- Since Amazon Web Services entirely powers its infrastructure, you will have access to top security features like threat detection and data encryption.
An open-source e-commerce website platform called Magento is widely recognized for its adaptability, scalability, and extensive feature set designed for online retailers of all sizes. It is owned by Adobe, which provides intelligent store operators with practically endless possibilities. Most suitable for experienced online stores and sellers.
Magento, similar to Drupal, is a very adaptable platform that you can utilize to create a website that performs the way you want. Although you are proficient in website creation, it will take some time to fully understand and use all of the platform’s default capabilities and extensions.
Downloading and using Magento open-source are both free. The expenses of registering a domain and maintaining it are approximately similar when compared to WordPress. However, the costs of additional apps and templates are higher on a Magento site.
- It offers solutions for monitoring product catalogues and orders, managing inventories, and segmenting viewers. Additionally, the platform’s modular architecture makes it simple to incorporate extra features through extensions.
- Magento has an extensive range of shipping alternatives and payment gateways, making it simple for users to carry out purchases and for companies to handle transactions effectively.
- The tool constantly publishes security updates and patches to prevent potential issues. Furthermore, it provides safety measures, including data encryption and safe payment processing.
Another CMS that specializes in developing enterprise-level websites is Typo3. It is extremely safe, scalable, and provides comprehensive linguistic support. For large organizations with complicated website demands, it’s a great option.
TYPO3 comes with more than 9,000 functionalities pre-installed. Although it won’t be simple to get started, its strong capabilities will allow you to develop a complicated multi-site solution. Even skilled developers must allocate a significant amount of energy and time to mastering the platform.
TYPO3 is something to think about if you have a massive web presence and require a CMS that can expand your business.
- You may build an interconnected online environment by integrating it smoothly with other applications and services, such as customer relationship management tools, online shopping platforms, and third-party APIs.
- Offers compatible SEO features, including XML sitemap production, customizable meta tags, and clean URL architectures. It increases the exposure of your website to search engines.
- The community surrounding TYPO3 is active and friendly. Its ecosystem regularly receives contributions from users and developers that provide extensions, themes, and in-depth information. With the help of the community, it is kept current and useful.
Wix is a well-liked cloud-based website builder because of its ease of use, adaptability, and capacity to simplify web design. It is a solution that enables people, companies, and creative professionals to make beautiful websites without needing advanced technical knowledge or coding proficiency.
Wix’s convenience and affordable price make it suitable for small businesses, startups, and local companies that want to create their online identities. Creative people use Wix to demonstrate their portfolios with visually appealing layouts, including artists, designers, and architects.
The restrictions of Wix might confuse you if you need extensive coding modifications. Although it provides code access, it is less versatile than systems that are designed mainly for developers.
- Wix is known for its simple drag-and-drop editor. Anyone can create their websites using this visual builder by merely dragging and dropping things onto the canvas.
- Wix offers a wide variety of apps in its App Market to increase the capabilities of your website. With just one click, you can include elements like inquiry forms, online shopping options, and social media integrations.
- It takes care of hosting for your website, which makes managing a website technically simple. Direct domain management and purchasing are also available through the portal.
9. HubSpot CMS Hub
HubSpot CRM Hub is a single platform that unites website hosting, content development, automation of marketing, and client relationship management. It is intended to assist businesses in efficiently creating, managing, and optimizing their websites and digital content.
For marketers and business owners searching for a complete solution to manage their web content and marketing efforts, CMS Hub is a great option.
One thing to look at is that although the free version is available, it requires HubSpot branding on your website. The positive aspect is that WooCommerce and WordPress can both be integrated with ease.
- They include creative content capabilities that let you customize your website page for certain users or larger groups of people. Developers may modify materials more quickly because of serverless functionalities, adaptable theme choices, and command-line tools.
- A worldwide CDN, a web application firewall, and a specialized security team are all included with CMS Hub. It also provides security measures to protect your website against attacks, fraudsters, and other disturbances.
- All the elements you require to create a fully functional website are included in the starter plan. While the higher tiers are better suited for developing more complicated websites with dynamic customization and internal procedures.
PrestaShop is a powerful and feature-rich content management system for online stores that has grown in acceptance among online merchants all over the world. It can be called a neutral platform in the e-commerce CMS market, combining the strength of Magento with the ease of Shopify and being equivalent to Joomla.
It is best suited for shop proprietors and vendors with some technical expertise. There are over 6,000 add-on modules and themes, delivering a complete set of tools for setting up, running, and expanding online enterprises.
Creating a PrestaShop site can be a time-consuming and difficult process, considering the seemingly complex admin area and a lot of already-included functionality. But once you get out of the box, you will be able to build a more advanced site.
- Both unfamiliar and professional e-commerce experts can utilize PrestaShop because of its easy-to-use and clear dashboard. It is simple to go through the item listings, order administration, and store personalization processes.
- 2,200 themes and more than 3,900 modules are available to support large online stores and a sizable product catalog, with a wide range of add-ons available to alter the look and operation of your site.
- PrestaShop prioritizes security. A dedicated community and routine security upgrades help to keep your website safe from potential dangers.
Choose the CMS that Best Suites Your Business
“The Best CMS,” or a single solution that works for all websites, cannot be found. You have to identify the most suitable CMS as per your business’s needs. Your ideal platform will deliver the CMS capabilities you require, enhance your teams’ content management skills, and ultimately let you give your website’s viewers a pleasant experience. Here is the list of the top 10 CMS platforms that can fulfil almost all requirements. Read it and choose the one that suits your business.
Embed social feed from Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter on your website, like a PRO